FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Safety and Security
Billing and Concerns
- WHAT IS LPL's PURPOSE REGARDING CHILDCARE?
Our purpose is to provide a high quality childcare program in a friendly, child centered atmosphere conducive to learning.
- MAY I VISIT MY CHILDREN DURING THE DAY?
Parents are absolutely welcome to visit their child anytime they are at school. In the event a parent wishes to simply observe rather than visit, they can view their child and their classroom through the various windows surrounding the classroom, and/or the video monitoring screen in the entrance of the building.
- WHAT AGE CHILDREN DOES LPL ACCEPT?
LPL accepts children between 6 weeks to 12 years of age. Check your center for specific ages accepted.
- WHAT HOURS ARE YOU OPEN?
LPL centers are open from 6:00 A.M. to 6:30 P.M., Monday through Friday. Check with your center Director for the specific hours of operation at your center. We are closed New Year's Day, Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. Special programs occur throughout the week. Check with the center Director for details.
- WHAT IS YOUR REGISTRATION AND ADMISSION PROCEDURE?
You will have an initial interview with the Director, complete the Registration sheet/Contract (included in your Enrollment Packet) and pay a Registration Fee prior to bringing your child to LPL for the first time. Additional enrollment paperwork will also be required.
- WHAT DOES IT COST TO ATTEND LPL?
There is a current itemized fee schedule with this information.
- DO YOU ACCEPT CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS?
We will make every effort to integrate "special needs" children into our programs, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- DO YOU CLOSE FOR SNOW DAYS?
Unless the public roads are closed, we will be open.
- WHAT HOLIDAYS ARE YOU CLOSED FOR?
We will be closed for New Years Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. If the Holiday falls on a Saturday, we will be closed the Friday before. If the Holiday falls on a Sunday, we will be closed the Monday after. We are open the Friday after Thanksgiving.
- WHAT CAN I EXPECT FOR STAFF APPEARANCE?
Our staff members wear shirts with the LPL logo so they are easily identified by parents and children. We also have other appearance requirements for our staff. We want the parent to be the influencing factor on their children when it comes to things like tattooing, body piercing, and other lifestyle choices. We understand that the children get attached to, and are influenced by the care givers they look up to. For that reason, we require employees to remove, cover, or conceal all visible body piercings (except the female ear) and tattoos. We monitor language, music, and video content the children are subject to as well. It is a very conservative stance, but we strongly feel the parent should influence their children in these areas.
Safety & Security
- WHAT ARE YOUR ACCIDENT, ILLNESS and INJURY POLICY?
In the event a child has an accident, becomes seriously ill, or is injured at Little People's Landing, an Accident/Incident Report will be filled out at the time of the incident. If it is a minor accident/incident/illness, the parent/guardian will be given a copy of the report when they pick up their child. If the accident/incident/illness requires any medical attention, the parent/guardian will be notified immediately and the child will be transported to the nearest medical facility. In the event a child runs a fever over 101 degrees, the parent/guardian will be notified immediately and the child will be sent home. When they have been fever free, without the use of Tylenol, they are able to return. In the event a child contracts a contagious illness such as pink eye, thrush, chicken pox, or similar, all parents/ guardians are notified (no names used). The child can return after use of antibiotics for 24 hours.
- HOW DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE CHILDREN ARE AT ALL TIMES?
The center Director makes "rounds" checking classrooms throughout the day. Role is taken in each classroom many times throughout the day through individual class count sheets. Roll is taken anytime children move from location to location including: from room to room; between school and playground; between school and vans/buses; and every location change on field trips. The Director takes role of the entire school at 10:00 a.m. every school day. The Director also utilizes the video monitoring of every classroom throughout the day, and our electronic check in tracks when children are dropped off and picked up.
- WHAT IS YOUR PROCEDURE FOR RESPONDING TO SUCH EMERGENCIES AS A LOST CHILD, TORNADOS, and FIRES?
In the unlikely event a child is lost, the parents and authorities will be immediately notified. In the unlikely event of a tornado, the children will be moved to a secure location in the building. In the unlikely event of a fire, the building will be immediately evacuated. Fire and tornado drills are routinely conducted once a month to ensure teacher and child preparedness.
- HOW IS MY CHILD SUPERVISED DURING SPECIAL EVENTS?
We have many safety procedures in place to ensure the safety of the children during special events.
- For field trips away from LPL we require Day Camp children to wear highly visible LPL tee shirts. For Preschool aged children, we strongly encourage parents to purchase our LPL tee shirts as well.
- We provide preschool age children attending fieldtrips with a brightly colored breakaway lanyard including school information and phone number. The lanyard is highly visible, and in the unlikely event that a child becomes separated from the class, it is easy to identify the group they belong with.
- We provide preschool children attending field trips with walking ropes . The ropes have padded handles and the children are taught to hold the rope handle with the teacher as they move from location to location so they do not inadvertently stray from the group.
- Class counts are taken anytime children move from location to location including between school and vans/buses, and every location change on field trips.
- As always, we adhere to the state-mandated student/child ratios. If the event is attended outside of LPL, we often increase the number of staff to children ratio, if we feel the situation warrants it. Many times the facility being visited requires a certain student/staff ratio. We will adhere to this ratio as long as it is not below the state mandated student/staff ratio for the age group and it is not below LPL standards.
- Any time there is a field trip outside LPL you will be required to sign a Permission Slip before your child will be permitted to go on the field trip.
- DOES LPL HAVE SEATBELTS IN ITS VEHICLES AND DO YOU REQUIRE THEIR USE?
All LPL vehicles are equipped with seatbelts. All occupants of the vehicle are required to wear seatbelts any time the vehicle is in motion. Additionally, all occupants are required to remain seated at all times. Car seats and boosters are also used for children based on the age, weight, and height requirements. Please note: If your child does not obey the rules while riding in an LPL vehicle, he/she may be barred from riding in any LPL vehicle in the future.
- HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT NO CHILD HAS BEEN LEFT IN THE BUILDING EACH NIGHT?
The employee(s) closing the building checks every room, restroom, and common areas for children, before leaving for the night.
- WHAT HAPPENS IF THERE IS AN EMERGENCY ON A VEHICLE?
All LPL busses/vans are equipped with cellular phones. The phones are programmed for instant notification of the school (Director), LPL corporate office, and 911, in the event of an emergency of any kind. All drivers are certified in First Aid and CPR.
- HOW DO YOU STORE AND DISPENSE MY CHILD'S MEDICINE?
Once you have brought us your child's prescription medicine in its original container including the child's name, as well as the completed form from the physician, it will be stored and administered in compliance with the "Nurse Practice Act". You and the child's physician must give us written permission before we can dispense ANY MEDICATIONS, including Tylenol and other over the counter medications. Anyone dispensing medicine to your child has completed state approved training. All medicines, whether needing refrigeration or not, will be stored in a locked container when not in use.
- HOW DO YOU ENSURE THAT ONLY THE INDIVIDUALS I WANT TO PICK UP MY CHILD FROM LPL ACTUALLY DO?
When children are enrolled, the parent or guardian will provide a list of persons authorized to pick up the child. Children will only be released to individuals on the "Authorizations For Pick Up" list. If anyone that we do not recognize tries to pick up your child, we will ask them for a picture ID, and verify that they are on the list. Also, every person who is on the authorization list must have their own code to check in and out by.
- HOW DO YOU HANDLE VISITORS?
We have security gates in every foyer to prevent any unauthorized entry into our classrooms. Anyone coming into LPL that is NOT part of our staff, a visitor authorized in writing by a parent or guardian of an LPL student, or someone responding to an emergency must sign our Visitor's Register, located in the foyer.
- WHAT IS THE STAFF'S RESPONSIBILITY REGARDING SUPERVISION OF MY CHILD?
The primary responsibility of every LPL employee is the safety and security of your child. Employees are trained specifically for child safety and supervision when hired and we conduct ongoing training throughout the year. Every child is under the direct supervision of a responsible adult at all times. The number of children a teacher is responsible for is determined by the age of the child and the activity the child is engaged in. At no time do we allow a higher ratio of children to staff members than allowed by Colorado State Regulations.
- WILL MY CHILD GET TO PLAY OUTSIDE EVERYDAY?
Every effort will be made to give the children time to play outside twice per day, except when the temperature is above 95° Fahrenheit or below 32° Fahrenheit. The children will not go outside when it is raining, snowing or during times of excessive winds. The Director is the final authority regarding taking the children outside.
- WHAT IS YOUR DISCPLINE POLICY?
We do not think of discipline as punishment. Our goal is to help each child develop self control and a sense of respect for themselves and others. We strive to create a child care environment that encourages children to make positive choices. Praise and positive reinforcement are our first methods of behavior management of children. When inappropriate behavior occurs, it is corrected through explanation, redirection and diversionary techniques. Discipline is carried out in a non-threatening, positive manner that is appropriate to the child's level of development. Spanking and other forms of corporal punishment are not permitted under any circumstance.
- WHAT ABOUT MY CHILD'S PERSONAL BELONGINGS AND ANY MONEY BROUGHT TO LPL?
Your child will have a "cubby" for his/her personal belongings. Please be sure all of your child's belongings have his/her name on it. With the exception of Show-N-Tell, please do not let your child bring toys, cell phones, electronics, or similar items with them to LPL. We will not be responsible for loss or damage. Please, DO NOT allow your child to bring any money to LPL. If we discover that your child has cash we will hold it in the office until your child goes to school or you arrive in the evening. If your child has to take money to elementary school, please let the Director know when you drop off your child.
- HOW OFTEN WILL MY CHILD EAT AT LPL?
As part of the cost of tuition your child will receive an A.M. snack, hot lunch, an afternoon snack, and an optional 6 pm snack. The child must be present at the time the snack or lunch is being served. For an additional charge, you may purchase a hot breakfast for your child each morning. At some of our schools, however, the hot breakfast is included as part of a state funded food program at no additional charge. Please check with the director.
- HOW ABOUT DIAPERING AND TOILET TRAINING?
In your Enrollment Packet you will find our "Diapering and Toilet Training" procedures.
- HOW DO I KNOW HOW MY CHILD IS DOING?
Every preschool student receives an informal written evaluation each week, and formal evaluation twice per year. Each infant and toddler receives a daily written report that includes their meals, diaper changes, daily curriculum and activities, duration of nap time, and how their general disposition and mood was. At any time you can request a conference with the Director and your child's teacher to discuss their progress regarding their behavior, school progress and/or their social and physical needs.
- HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT TV's IN LPL?
We believe TV's have little to do with a learning environment. Occasionally, children will be able to enjoy a video, particularly when used to enhance a curriculum subject. The only other time videos may be used is with the Director's permission during inclement weather days. If any video or movie is to be watched it must be approved by the Director before viewing.
- WHAT HAPPENS IF I ARRIVE AT LPL AFTER MY CHILD'S CLASS HAS LEFT FOR A FIELD TRIP?
Every effort will be made to have your child join the field trip. If that is not possible, your child will be placed in a classroom with children closest to the age of your child until their class returns.
- WHAT HAPPENS IF I AM LATE PICKING UP MY CHILD OR IF I FORGET TO PICK UP MY CHILD ONE NIGHT?
If you are late picking up your child you will be charged a $1.00 per minute late fee per child. If you forget to pick up your child we will give you a reasonable amount of time and then we will try to contact everyone on your Authorizations for Pick Up form. If we cannot contact anyone, or no one will come and pick up your child, the authorities will be notified.
- WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE FOR WITHDRAWAL OF MY CHILD, AT MY REQUEST OR AT LPL's REQUEST?
When you leave LPL, by your choice or ours, we both should give the other party a two week notice. However, if the reason you leave is for "cause" immediate withdrawal is appropriate. Please refer to your contract or see your Director if you need further explanation.
- DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR DAYS MY CHILD DOES NOT ATTEND LPL?
Every enrollee is given two of their contracted weeks of vacation each year. These "free" days may be used for vacation, illness or for any other reason. Once you have used your "free" days you will be charged ½ the weekly rate for additional days/weeks missed. If you choose not to pay the ½ weekly fees your child will be disenrolled and you will be charged the Registration Fee when you return. Please note: we will not guarantee that your childcare "slot" will be available upon your return. If your child attends any day of his/her contracted week you will be charged for the entire week.
- IF I HAVE A CONCERN ABOUT LPL HOW DO I REPORT IT?
You may contact our corporate office with any concerns at 303-972-0787 or through our web site at www.LittlePeoplesLanding.com.